Beginnings

 My name is Juanita Fitzgerald, formerly Juanita Baylous. I was born Januay 19, 1916 n Cobel county West Virginia near the head of a "holler" in a small house beside a creek.  I am one of 13 children-10 of us survived to adulthood. I was the 6th in the line.

When I was 4 (?) my Mama started moving-2 years to 6 months was the longest she stayed in 1 place. I grew to 17 years in Cobel County West Virginia. A short part of that time was spent in Logan County West Virginia, where coal mining was the main way of life. Finally I graduated from Huntington High School in 1933. After many struggles with poverty and having learned survival skills against this poverty and humiliation-I finally graduated from high school.

In 1933 I came to Vancouver-met a wonderful young man and married him in February 1934. We had 3 children who lived and one who died at birth. Now I have eight grandchildren-I think about 10 great grandchildren-haven't counted lately.

My John died of cancer in 1990 and now I am trying to put my memories in place. I still can't remember any Christmas from my childhood, but from the first day of marriage, my husband and I tried to make a great storehouse of memories for us and our children-all of them. We camped, beach combed, had a farm with all kinds of animals-worked together. But I am still trying to find a Christmas from my childhood-why can't I? Maybe there was none?? Now I am getting some good times and some bad times and I will keep on trying to remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Background

Nero's Death

My Friend Mary Lou, Many Moves and Tobacco Farming