Old Cherry

After we left the little farm, we most always had an old cow. Mama woud call her Old Cherry.  She was always red and very gentle.  I learned to milk her real easy while still very small. Sometimes Old Cherry would pass on.  I never understood where she passed on to, but aways there was another Old Cherry.

I was I think about eleven years old when I was trying to milk this special Old Cherry.  For some reason she was unhappy and didn't want to be milked.  I was almost finished when Wham! A big old hard hoof that was attached to a big leg came up and splashed my whole bucket of milk on me and the ground. I was so angry at Old Cherry I just sat there and cried.  Now no milk for several days. Whatever will we do?  This is a real guilt trip for me.  I suffered for weeks because I lied to my Mama.  I told her a big old skunk had run in front of Old Cherry and scared her so that she kicked the bucket over and spilled the milk.  Mama was upset and I don't know if she believed me or not.  I did not get punished and that made me feel more guilty.  There was no end to the wrong things I could do and get in trouble.  Probably I had left the table on the wrong side of the chair this morning.  Superstitions-there was no end to them!  I later learned to disprove every one I had ever heard from my Mama and Grandma.  Someday I would prove them all wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Background

Nero's Death

My Friend Mary Lou, Many Moves and Tobacco Farming